Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Getting It Ready: Day 6: Clothing

If you are like me, getting clothing ready for the sale can honestly become a MAJOR chore. I literally spend hours pulling clothing out of bins, hanging sets, ironing, searching for stains, etc. I have to remind myself how much it is all worth it once I get that check. Here are a few tips that will hopefully make getting your clothing together a little easier:

1. As you pack up clothing that no longer fits, fold sets together in the bin. This makes it so much easier when it's time to start matching up sets.

2. If YOU think it looks too worn, is outdated, has stains, etc. go ahead and donate it. If you find issue with it why would you want someone else to get home with it?

3. Hang pants, shorts and nice sets on paper covered hangers. They just look so much nicer on paper and the paper keeps the individual pieces from sliding around. When they look better, they sell for a higher price.

4. Think about what you would pay for clothing as you price it. Also try to take emotions out of pricing. So many times people price things too high because they have fond memories of their child wearing the outfit only to be disappointed when it doesn't sell. I have found that pricing clothing at 75% off what you originally paid gets it sold.

5. The higher the size, the better it sells. Don't forget while pricing that many people receive sizes 0-12 months as shower gifts so it's harder to resell those sizes. In my opinion, boy clothing that is name brand and in great condition sells for a higher price and faster than girl clothing.

6. Sets sell better than pieces. The only time I will bust up a set is if the top is a different size from the bottom. Many times, especially on my boys' clothing, I will put a Gymboree top with a Gap pair of shorts. People like to buy in sets because they don't have to turn around and search out matching pieces.

Next post: final tips on getting it all done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I need help knowing which size to put on the tag. For example, if it says 0-3 would it be Newborn or 3 month? Thanks for your help!