Thursday, August 18, 2011

Consignment Money: What's YOUR plans?

I often have people ask me what I do with the money I make from consignment sales. I thought this would be a great topic for discussion and I could throw in a little contest too! I mean, seriously, who doesn't love to win something right?

I started consigning in 2000 when I discovered Baby Lulu. We had one child who was 1 1/2 at the time and I instantly fell in love with this clothing line. I was also becoming obsessed with Gymboree at the time. Back in those days, a Gymboree hat from a hard to find line would easily sell for $30 on ebay, so I quickly figured out that by scouring consignment sales, I could pick up some hard to find pieces AND save lots of money. At the time, I was selling my daughter's outgrown clothing on ebay, but I was quickly getting fed up with all the fees AND the people that didn't pay AND the people who complained once they got it AND (well, you get the point). I decided to give consigning a try. Honestly, I didn't have a lot of faith that I would sell very much. Even though I was selling higher end brands and everything I had was in good condition, who was really going to pay ebay prices for my stuff? Yeah, I was wrong. Even though it was a lot of work to get my items hung, priced, dropped off, picked up, etc., once I got that check from the first sale (actually it was cash in a baggie with all my cards, remember those days?) I was HOOKED. Suddenly, all that time I spent at the post office in line to ship stuff, all the money I had spent on packaging materials, and all the hassles of ebay buyers were a thing of the past....I was hooked on consigning and I've never looked back. Sure, I've tried different outlets over the years (yard sales, craigslist, etc) but by far, I have found that consigning is the easiest way to go. You are typically able to get top dollar for your item simply because if you pick the right sale, you are hitting a MASSIVE target audience.

Four years ago, I hired a VIP tagger and man, did my life change! No longer did I have to spend hours and hours finding hangers, pins, baggies, etc. They literally came to my house, picked it up and I was done. Yes, I was paying 20% more and a supply fee, but I was also finding that they were pricing it higher than I would have in the first place; therefore, I really didn't notice the lower percentage. Pair that with the fact that I found out I was cleaning out even more items than usual simply because I knew I wasn't the one having to price it all and man, oh man, I was in love.

So, that leads to the question...what do I do with my consignment earnings? Well, fast forward to 2011 and we now have 5 kids 12 and under. I typically set aside $1000 of my earnings to buy all 5 of them their next season wardrobe. I am a big fan of buying ahead and putting stuff back in the closet (that's why I love restock, always finding next season items!), so typically I can stretch my $1000 pretty far. This year, on top of that, I am setting a goal for our family. I would LOVE to take a Disney cruise in 2012 so all of my earnings above and beyond what I need for the clothing budget will be dumped into a vacation fund for this cruise.

So, you ready for the contest? Well, here it is :) If you want to be the first consignor to be able to shop at either Encores North or Encores Murfreesboro presale, all you need to do is leave a comment on this blog post about what you plan to do with your consignor check! In your comment, let us know what sale you plan to shop (or if you plan to shop both, say that too!) On Wednesday, August 24th at 10pm CST, we will pick two winners (one from North, one from the Boro) from the comments left and the winner will get to come in 30 minutes before the consignor presale starts! I can't wait to read your comments and who knows? You comment may inspire someone else to consign, or better yet? Give them a great idea to save for!


34 comments:

Vicki White said...

I usually give my earnings to my daughter, Sara White Hays, because I consign under her number. She uses the $$ to make what she spent at the sale much easier to swallow, I guess. I love the North sale. I am always amazed at the volume and selection. Thanks to all who work so hard to make this sale happen each time.
Vicki White

Brooke said...

My consignment money goes towards the perks of life. That is the money we will use to eat out on, take the kids to the zoo, etc. We are budgeted pretty tight, so I usually put the money into a savings account and draw out a little here and there to have some fun.

I shop the north sale!
Bsearcy81@gmail.com

Savannah said...

I am planning to purchase a travel system and baby bedding for our baby girl that will be arriving in November! I will be shopping at BOTH sales and am hoping to find what I need there! If not, I have my eye on the cutest travel system to buy! So I guess I will have to reimburse myself if I find what I am looking for at one of the sales! :) the rest will go toward a wardrobe for her and my twin boys for the fall/winter season!! :)

Candy said...

I'm planning on putting my earnings toward my "Basement Fund", so that we can finish out our basement!

Laura Hughes said...

I have recently become a single Mom to a 5 year old and an 18 month old. I have always participated in the Encores North sale, and get so excited when its that time of year again. Being the sole provider and tighter than usual with the funds at our house, I've contributed more than I ever have to the sale! Im super excited to be able to give back, while still outfitting my two for cold weather months ahead. Any leftovers go toward their Christmas and Angel tree!

The Embroidery Chick said...

With the new baby here, I'll be shopping both sales!

My consignor check will (ahem, "should") be going back into house upgrades, but we all know that I'll really be spending it all on little girl clothes!

Tracy~

Staci Bishop said...

I usually save my check to purchase items at the next sale. I basically have never "paid" for my daughter's clothes since birth. I consign and use that money for the next season. Totally worth it!

Cindy G. said...

I put my earnings back into the consignment sale! For the last 4 sales I have tried to estimate how much I thought I would make and set that as my budget to shop the presale for my 2 girls' next seasons wardrobes. EVERY time I have been within $20 or so. I'm so excited about the sale in Murfreesboro but can't give up the North sale so I will be shopping both!

goughcd@msn.com

Jennifer Taylor said...

This year I am doing all the encores sales and have a goal of $3,000 to $4,000 on all the sales... All my profits are going to pay my car off.. My goal is to have it paid off my december.... Being a single mom it's hard for me to be able to live on my own and have a car payment, so once that payment is gone it opens the door for me to find myself a house of my own... fingers crossed I can do this...

Melissa Jones said...

I am saving all of the money that I am making at the Encore sales to take my kids on a birthday trip to Disney next year. I cannot wait to see their faces when they find out they get to celebrate with Mickey next year. I will be shopping the Murfreesboro sale this fall. With the date changes to the North sale I am able to do the sale but not shop the sale. :( Looking forward to finding all kinds of good stuff in the 'boro!

kym said...

NASHVILLE FERTILITY!!! Yup, they will get every penny....and then some! We are hoping to start IVF late Fall. I am blessed with one amazing little boy and we dream of expanding our family. I will be shopping the North sale....who am I kidding..BOTH sales.

Brandy said...

Well unfortunately my money is going to have to go to bills!!! It has been a very rough year. Ok so maybe a little wil go to shopping. I have a 3 year old and a 3 week old to shop for!

Anonymous said...

Typically the check just goes in the bank to help pay down credit cards, etc. This sale I have decided that after subtracting whatever money is spent on the kids at the consignment sale the rest is to help build MY fall/winter wardrobe! The kids have been so well dressed for so many years...it must be time for me! LOL Momma needs a new pair of shoes...or two...or three!! Heehee I plan to shop the North sale! Wendie Franklin :)

Apedaile6 said...

I typically use my earnings to help offset what I already spent at the sale. This year, I will stash some of it away for Christmas. I love shopping at the North sale!

Victoria
jrsred8@yahoo.com

Brianna Oldham said...

After losing my child support this summer and having to pull my son from his private school and put him in public... this check will help me pay my mortgage for a couple more months. My little man loved helping me tag his old clothes and put them on hangers, telling me he was going to "help the babies" at his new school. Everything I can do to keep his little heart wholesome... I will do!

Anonymous said...

I always shop Encores North and sometimes Boro too! Every year I save the money I make from my consignor check (I save for weeks leading up to the sale) and put it back until we want to either buy the kids something big (swingset last year, big sandbox/picnic table the year before, and this last spring I saved our money until a couple weeks ago when we took a family vacation to Gatlinburg). So really am not sure what I will use it for this time but you better believe it will be something good!

Jennifer said...

I try to break even every year from what I sell to what I buy. The extra is put away for Christmas or money for the kids. I usually always make money than I buy!!! :-)

Kim Evans said...

I plan on going to Gatlinburg with my husband for our 15th wedding anniversary.

Kim Evans said...

I plan on going to Gatlinburg with my husband for our 15th wedding anniversary.

Donita said...

I plan on helping a family in need from church purchase a much needed car I love to shop the Encores and more north sale, I appreciate all the hard work put into the sale by all my friends. Thanks Girls Donita Harper

Nikki said...

OMG, what do I plan on doing?? I plan on buying new stuff for the surprise baby that's on the way. Our daughter is 6 years old so we are starting from SCRATCH! We have so much to do and get. Our house is definitely not baby friendly anymore.

Nikki
allonte@hotmail.com

Christina said...

I'll just keep this simple... I plan on using the money that we make off of consignment sale to fix our washing machine that has been broken for 6 months so i can wash all the new clothes i buy my two year old girl at the consignment sales also...

I will be shopping both consignment sales but will only be able to go to North for early sales cause it's closer :p

Christina :)

Heidi said...

i was layed off work for 2 weeks so i plan on using it to get caught up on bills! thank GOD for encores!!!

Alison said...

I plan on using the money to offset what I buy the next time. I LOVE Encores and can't wait for the sales! Thank you for the opportunity of the sales. I will probably only shop the North sale because it is closest and with teaching, I don't know if I can make it to the East sale, but will certainly try!

alison
alihol@hotmail.com

eliciagoostree@att.net said...

my consignment money goes towards next years wardrobe and whatever is left for special prizes and rewards through out the year. it always nice to have a little extra cash for a reward for the girls.

Crystal said...

My earning will go to cover what I spend at the Encores North Sale. Looking for Christmas/Birthday gifts this sale. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I use my consignment checks to pay for my kids clothes! I will be shopping the North sale and its my first year. I am so excited.

Carrie
carolynnpeaytt@aol.com

Heather Morozov said...

Our family budget for the 4 of us is tighter than ever, so my consignment earnings now will be going to invest in my kids clothes as well as keeping Christmas and birthdays afloat in some tough times. I shop the North sale every year!

Heather Morozov
heather.morozov@gmail.com

April S. said...

Our earnings go directly towards clothes for the next season and a special big ticket toy for the kids. Our last sale earnings went towards a summer wardrobe for 2 kids and a swing set.

We are looking forward to the North Fall/Winter Sale!

April S.
april_lash@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

my mom buys all of her 8 grandkids clothes for every season... we will consign clothes then turn around and buy clothes back..of course she really isnt making any money but she says she's doing what she loves and thats shopping for her grandkids...

LORIDALE said...

We are in a lease purchase and after working the North sale last year and hearing about all the money everyone was making my husband and I decided that I would consign to get the downpayment for the house. I love the north sale, and Natalie runs the best consignment sale, great variety,very organized and quality merchandise.

sarahcrain said...

I will use my money to buy fall clothes for the kids. Then I won't have to feel guilty for buying things I want them to have, not just what they absolutely need. :) I shop the North sale!
Sarah Crain

Stephanie said...

We generally bank what we make at one sale for the next sale. It pads the clothing fund and gives us the cushion in our on going budget for other needs. =-) I'll be shopping the North Sale...unless I win the pre-sale for the Boro. =-D

april duffer said...

I plan on using the money from the sale to take a trip to gulf shores at thanksgiving. My boys have never seen the ocean and I want them too! I plan on shopping the north sale!!!